The holidays are just around the corner, so it’s time to start planning your menu for holiday dinners with friends and family. No matter what you’re planning for the main course, here are two desserts that are sure to be a hit with every age group at your holiday table.
Fresh Fig Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Ingredients: (makes 1½ quarts)
* 5 ounces (about one cup) ripe fresh figs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 3 ounces (about ½ cup) dark chocolate, finely chopped into small bite size pieces
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* Best to use a vanilla-custard ice cream base
1. Before you begin, chill a medium-size loaf pan in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. While your pan is chilling, sprinkle the figs with sugar and toss them until figs are well-coated. Let figs stand until plump and juicy, about five minutes.
2. Fold figs and chocolate pieces into the vanilla-custard ice cream base with a rubber spatula. Freeze and churn in an ice cream maker until well-blended, then transfer mixture to the chilled loaf pan. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and freeze until hardened, about two hours. Serve in festive holiday glasses with long ice cream spoons.
Time Saving Tip: You can freeze this ice cream up to two weeks ahead of time before serving to your guests.
Ingredients: (makes six servings)
* 3 cups fresh blueberries
* 3 tablespoons white sugar
* 1/3 cup orange juice
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 pinch salt
* 1/2 cup softened butter
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Using an 8-inch square baking dish, mix blueberries, orange juice and 3 tablespoons sugar, then set aside. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt until well-mixed, then set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, cream 1/2 cup sugar and butter until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in one egg and vanilla extract, then gradually add flour mixture. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Carefully spoon in batter over blueberry mixture covering as much of the filling as possible.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until blueberry filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Serve warm in festive holiday bowls and top with vanilla ice cream or creamy vanilla gelato products.