For someone who’s spent a lot of days in the hospital, even through adulthood, I know so well how valuable health insurance is. I remember even having to celebrate my birthday in the hospital. We in fact, had to sneak in our still wee toddler because it’s been days since we saw each other. My little chatterbox (yes, he started really early) called it my “mini vacation.” Now that I think of it, some of our “mini vacations,” I’ve in fact, documented, over the years. Archived here: Hospitalized
As much as we try to look at things in the positive light and be cheery, as a young mother back then, it was a pain for me to be away from my family. More than the physical pain, really. But I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do – and get admitted on my birthday, no less. Haha!
Kidding aside, it turned out to be a severe allergic reaction from a medication. I had to be hospitalized quite a few more times before my team of doctors were able to identify the problem. But because my insurance back then covered my hospital expenses, there was nary a cent that we had to shell out. I never fail to get floored every time I see the hospital bill at the end of my “visit.”
Then there’s also the series of hospital visits and laboratory tests that I had to go through back in 2013, for an autoimmune scare. The laboratory tests, when I figured them all in, amounted to more than a hundred thousand combined. That’s just crazy! This is why availing of a health insurance makes complete sense to me.
As a freelancer, I’ve actually been considering a few companies that I would like to avail health insurance from, for my son and me. Hubs is already covered by the company he’s working for. Since a health insurance isn’t exactly part of my package as a virtual assistant, I have to carefully choose one that’s most reliable since I am practically my own H.R. Department. As I list down my choices, one company that stands out is MediCard.
Here are some of the reasons why I’m leaning towards MediCard:
1. MediCard is the only Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) that’s run and founded by doctors.
This alone should tell a lot about an HMO. I don’t know about you, but this gives me a confidence that I will surely be taken cared of. Because, for one, who do we see when we avail of our HMO coverage, a doctor, that’s who! We all know that most HMOs are overshoots of insurance companies and surely, for profit, which is not bad in itself altogether. But there’s just something about MediCard that appeals to me entirely because of this.
2. This HMO was established in 1987, making them one of the pioneers in HMO.
3. MediCard is the first HMO that was awarded with an ISO certification in the Asia Pacific Region, no less.
4. Members of MediCard have access to more than 40,000 accredited doctors, specialists and dentists in almost 1,000 accredited hospitals and clinics nationwide.
5. It carries a comprehensive healthcare coverage for its members: hospitalization, outpatient, preventive, emergency, member’s financial assistance and dental services. Here’s the complete list for your and my reference: http://
6. On top of all that, MediCard is staying strong as it turns 28 years this year. Staying strong in the HMO industry.
These sure give me total confidence that my son and I will be taken cared of by no less than the strongest in HMO industry. Takes the worry away from my To-Do List as a mother (I think it’s kind of a given), when it comes to health care for my family. 🙂