I have been so looking forward to getting hold of John Maxwell’s Put Your Dream to the Test for months now. It would be a great addition to our John Maxwell books collection. When months came and went and no book has arrived in my doorstep, I figured I could check out with Thomas Nelson and I was pleased to know that I can download an e-book version for this review.
“Disappointment is the gap between that exists between expectation and reality.” ~John Maxwell
Put Your Dream to the Test has pretty much accompanied me these past days. There was no second guessing that this was yet another good read from John Maxwell. This is probably the best book to read on ushering dreams to reality. This is especially true if you happen to be one of those people who –
… once in their lives have been discouraged from dreaming by others.
… hindered by past disappointments and hurts.
… got in the habit of settling for just the average.
… lack the confidence needed to pursue their dreams.
… lack the imagination to dream.
John Maxwell ingeniously came up with a valuable readiness checklist of putting our dream to the test. The ten questions were designed to help us assess our dream and its plausibility of turning into reality.
1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?
2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?
3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream?
4. The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it?
5. The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream?
6. The People Question: Have I included the people I need to realize my dream?
7. The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream?
8. The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream?
9. The Fulfillment Question: Does working toward my dream bring satisfaction?
10. The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others?
Here’s a snippet from the book, pages 260-261 from the e-book version uploaded in my iPhone.
Removing nonessentials from your daily routine will be a constant struggle, but it is worth fighting for. Why? Because most people who fail to reach their dream aren’t stopped because an insurmountable barrier confronted them. No, they often become worn out trying to carry too many things on their journey. If you want to reach your dream, you need to let go of the things that don’t really matatter so that you can accomplish the things that really do.
Completely makes sense, right? I love that this book is NOTHING LIKE what we are all so exposed to nowadays – prosperity gospel. We are not being positive because of what new age motivational speakers would have us believe that “If you believe it, you can achieve it.” The phenomenon of this new age belief is all over the place. The positivity pull of this book is to see the path that God has for us, which leads to prosperity in every aspect of our lives. The minute we wallow on negativity is the time that let go of the possibility that God will ever see us through. Put Your Dreams to the Test by John Maxwell is a highly recommended book! 😀
Disclosure: I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishing for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.