Being a subscriber of The World’s Healthiest Foods, I am sent a bunch of recipes, week in and week out. My desire is to get our family to love eat healthier foods. The fact remains that crappy foods taste good though.
But then again, there is also this thing about acquiring tastes. good friend that I had in college once told me that after a while of taking out meat out of his diet, he developed this aversion to it. Ideally, you and your better half is a team in pursuing this goal. Otherwise, it is going to be a struggle. My point being: If you are amongst who struggle, then it is best to introduce new dishes that are tastier than serving your family those notoriously known bland healthfoods.
I am looking into serving this recipe this coming week and enjoy the yummy side dish with all of the health benefits of phytonutrients from the veggies combined with the heart-healthy monounsaturated fats from the nuts. It’s a great side dish to accompany fish and poultry entres.
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup each red and yellow bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chop or press garlic, slice onions and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat broth in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat.
- When broth is steaming, add bell peppers and onions, cover and sautÃ© for 5 minutes.
- Add snow peas and sautÃ© covered for 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a serving bowl and toss with cashews and dressing ingredients.