posted by Jennie on Mar 13

It seems like yesterday when I blogged about doing the Shifting Technique as I introduced to my son another formula. Boy, does time fly! Five years forward and we are now into another shifting episode in our little man’s growing up stage.  As a brand new Mama back then, I wanted to do everything right. I even frowned upon how the older generations surrounding us back then would suggest unhealthy food choices. I held on to my gut and supplied my son with organic brown rice which I grind myself using the food processor as opposed to the commercial baby food that would have been the easy avenue to get by. Easy is not for me. Right is. :-)

A viral photo I found on Facebook last week. Exactly why I feel strongly about eating healthy.

We were on the right track. Yes? I can say we were, initially. Because our kid grew up being a toddler who ate, for the most part organic stuff, chose vegetables over meat. But as our son was growing up, he took on what we eat as well. As I happen to have a husband who is a huge meat lover and is not exactly partial towards the healthy stuff, it has been a struggle. Truth is, I have also embraced the hubby’s food preference. Except for sodas! Which I’m afraid our son is starting to acquire a liking for nowadays – that I’m seriously bud nipping. I can be killjoy like that. :P As for the hubby and I preferring the same food, that’s what happens when you spend time with someone for more than 16 years. Haha! A small price to pay to living with the awesomest man in the world! :D Quite a paradoxical affair, if you may. But that does not stop me, nonetheless, to want the best health for my son. For us to achieve that goal, a diet shift has got to take place.

Sauteed Sayote (Chayote)

Last week I posted the above photo on Instagram. Follow me - @jenaspacio ! :-) Because I can say that we were pretty successful in nurturing in our son the love for eating veggies, feeding battles do not actually come very often. Our only issue during meal time is it sometimes takes him forever to eat as he reads his books while eating. He even takes his books to the bath!

Boiled Saba Banana for Merienda

Yet another photo I posted on Instagram last week – yes you can say I micro blog a lot too. :-)  We had boiled Saba Banana for Merienda. I am blessed to not have to argue with my  son on reducing his consumption of chips and junk food. My wake up call was when I noticed that our pantry and fridge were overcome with foods having empty calories. Wikipedia describes empty calories:

Empty calories, in casual dietary terminology, are a measure of the digestible energy present in high-energy foods with little nutritional value, typically processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an “empty calorie” has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids.

Sauteed Bitter Gourd/Melon (Momordica charantia)

Yesterday, I prepared Sauteed Bitter Gourd for our lunch viand. Our son loved it so much, he requests for me to cook the same the next day!  What a blessing to take control back when it comes to my son’s nutrition. While I very well know that it cannot all be the perfect diet on a daily basis, it is sweet to know that I have minimal feeding battles to deal with when it comes to our shift to a healthier diet.

In my years of parenting our son, I have gathered that a child’s preference for unhealthy food is a phase that most children from 4 to 7 year olds go through. This is aside from factoring in the parents’s diet, which we are clearly guilty of. Keeping at this can easily hamper and mess with the child’s proper growth and development. That, I am not going to take sitting down. So as busy as I am with my regular grind – homeschooling, house chores, online tasks and the blog projects I do in between, I had to choose to transition our meals into a healthier one. As more painstaking as it may be than just popping open a canned good or ordering in.

I wish I can say it will be perfect from here on out. That would be great if it will be. But since this it is choice we have to make on a daily basis, it is a commitment on my part to keep at it. For our son to acquire the taste of healthier foods, he has to regularly have it. Hopefully, by doing all this, our family will gradually eradicate empty calorie foods from our diet and prefer healthier ones, for the most part. :-)

34 Comments to “On Diet Shifts, Feeding Battles and Eating Healthy”

1. Aintzane Zamora Says:

I think it’s a tough decision for those who used to eat those unhealthy foods. Well, I admit I used to that foods before and turned me into a little piggy especially the softdrinks. But then I realized to shift eating to veges and fruits more, a bit hard at first but will learn it to love it later for healthier life :)

Jennie Reply:

That’s what I’m really shooting for, transition our family to a “healthier” diet. It may be a challenge at first, but it is doable. The transition has to be subtle enough to get every member of the family to embrace it without much battle. :)

2. Pepper Tan Says:

Oh I love ampalaya! I’m lucky my daughter also eats veggies. Yes, it’s never too early to start eating healthy.

Jennie Reply:

That’s true, Pepper! Sometimes the way we cook them makes the difference too. :)

3. jane Says:

omg i miss eating the saba! the viral photo above is very true. though we still drink soda’s/cokes and have them in the fridge my daughter can only drink once a day and a just a little bit since i provided different falvours and fresh milks for her and yakult and fruitjuices for her to enjoy but somtimes she needs that little bits hehe

4. Thess Enriquez Says:

I salute you sis for doing all that! I tried to feed my son vegetables everyday, sometimes he eats it and sometimes he doesn’t. I have to cut the veggies into smaller pieces for him to eat.

Jennie Reply:

Thank you, Thess! It really helped that I started him off with brown rice and the veggies early on. If I fed him with sweets first back then, I am not sure if it will be as easy. :)

5. Chubskulit Rose Says:

I miss that boiled saba! We love Wreck it Ralph movie. We watched it in the theater and watched it again over a paid channel..

Jennie Reply:

I read somewhere, Rose, that a banana a day can help build the body’s immune system. :)

To this day, my son would still talk about the movie! I can feel a repeat coming along actually. :D

6. Makoy Says:

I blogged about the drinks too. Anyway, it’s really hard to feed children with healthy food especially those not pleasant tasting. Sometimes we have to be tough and a good role model to them.

Jennie Reply:

Makoy, it was bothersome, right? I have always known that sodas and commercial fruit drinks are loaded with sugar. But that viral photo allows our minds to virtually measure and reconsider what we introduce to our body on a regular basis.

About health food, I would like to learn how to cook them without my loved ones actually having to associate healthy with bad. Challenge. :)

7. Liza Barnett Says:

People have preferences when it comes to lifestyle. Whatever I put on the table, my family has to eat it. It can be spaghetti, Sinigang, ramen noodles, and what not. The kids don’t normally drink soda, but I let them have some sweets once in a while, they have yougart most of the time.

Jennie Reply:

That’s my rule too, Liza. :) Maybe another factor that makes it easier for the little guy to obey and grow to love the healthy stuff because he knows who’s in charge. Haha!

I hear you about the sweets! It’s so hard to just kick the habit. I am a sweet tooth myself. So imagine the paradox! :)

8. Gigi Beleno Says:

I am a trained ND learning from my previous job. I was just frustrated that there’s a time then that my little boy was so picky. But now he has learned to eat veggies and having them everyday on our food table helped him a lot and accustomed with. It really takes a lot of practice and patience when it comes to kid’s eating habits.

Jennie Reply:

Hi Gigi! There are times when our son gets picky too and actually prefers empty calorie foods than the healthier stuff.

But as they say, it takes three weeks to make a habit. I use that a lot in my child care method. :)

9. Gven-Rose Says:

my son loves to ear ampalaya when he is a bit younger but now di na masyado but he still eat vegetable.. I force him eh!!!!

Jennie Reply:

Hi Rose! I feel you! Haha! My son used to really love ampalaya. Then for some reason, we stopped cooking these healthy viands. Nakalimutan na ng taste buds nya. These bitter tasting stuff requires acquired taste. That’s also why I had to bathe the sliced veggies in rock salt to lessen its bitter taste before I cook them. :)

10. Joy H Says:

Wow, the pop has so much sugar in it! That’s why, I was so wide awake after drinking them. This is actually a very interesting post which enable me to see that pop are really bad for my health. Thanks for sharing this!

Jennie Reply:

You’re welcome Joy! That viral photo is such an eye opener, especially for those who drink sodas like they would, water. :)

11. Mauie Says:

Ugh, buti pa si Jed kumakain ng gulay! Rap is still a picky eater even up to now. He’ll chose to starve instead of eating what’s served on the dinner table. :(

Sabi nila it’s all because I fed him bottled baby food that’s why he’s picky with his food. Totoo kaya yun?

Jennie Reply:

Oo sis, talagang I made sure veggies inuna ko non sa kanya pakainin. Dami ko kasi nababasa dati mahirap daw talaga pag nauna yung mga bottled baby food. I had him eat that too. Pero inuna ko talaga yung brown rice and veggies. Tsaka na yung fruit nung tanggap na ng system nya yung veggies. :)

12. Working MAMA Says:

veggies for kids is really better than other foods good that my son eat veggies like yours

Jennie Reply:

I agree, Working Mama! :)

13. Jo-Ann Says:

I am a veggie lover and I always incorporate veggies and fruits in our meal. It is a must for housewives to love what is healthy for the benefit of the family.

14. Jo-Ann Says:

I love veggies and I always incorporate vegetables and fruits in our meal. It is a must for housewives to love the healthy thing for the benefit of the whole family.

15. JoAnn Says:

Jennie Reply:

That’s true, JoAnn! I hope I get to be consistent at this. :)

16. Peachy @ The Wandering Peach Says:

I always try to make ykaie eat more fruits and veggies but it’s really hard specially if other people at home are not one with you on your goal.

17. Rebel Sweetheart Says:

Oh my! Look at all that sugar!
    I’m glad my four-year-old isn’t a picky eater, and he eats healthy food, too. He’d take fish over pork any day! :)

18. Maria Teresa Figuerres Says:

I’m envious that your son likes “ampalaya.” It will take a while before I can encourage my son to eat this bitter vegetable, but I would like to see him eat this veggie with gusto, too.

19. Kaye Figuracion Says:

Habit of eating unhealthy food is my dilemma not only for my daughter but for our whole family, even myself.

Reading your post inspires me to choose healthier variation of food. I hope I’ll have enough control to stop myself from eating junk foods and drinking soda. The change should start on me to make this work for my family.

20. Ricky Bernardino Says:

You are such a dedicted Mom and lucky you, you don’t have a hard time teaching your son to eat vegies because you have already trained him to love it while he’s still young. Liking or not-liking healthy or unhealthy food is every parents call in training their child. As the saying goes “teach them young so they’ll grow like it”.

21. Mommy Pehpot Says:

si 3rd born katatapos lang sa diet phase.. mabuti na lang naagapan agad at meron mga kuya na tumulong sa akin para maayos ang pagkain ni 3rd son :)

22. Conquering Diet Shift with Aqiva | Marriage and Beyond Says:

[...] Diet Shift phase and how it can impact a child’s life can be so real even to intentional parents like [...]