posted by Jennie on Jan 27

While a handful lot have announced and jumpstarted their New Year’s Resolution a few weeks back, we are doing it differently since we were never really fans of New Year’s Resolution for as long as I can remember. When people over Facebook have shared their ten pesos (or so) per week challenge for this year, I thought of challenging myself (and my faith, for that matter) on this.

Our 52 Week Money Saving Challenge for 2013

The first 4 weeks (shaded boxes) are done. 48 more weeks to go!

I have been thinking, if we were able to afford to spend folds of this amount the previous years, doing it differently this time will allow our family to change the way we handle our finances. More than just mere saving, our goal is towards supporting more missionaries in the 10/40 window. I believe, anyone can do this. We will just have to reset our priorities and align them right to our goals.

week number is on the left most column

And because my chart is weekly based, I am thankful enough that my Android device can be set in such a way that that I can see what week we are already at. I tried it with iPhone first but I can’t have it configured like such. Either it can do that but I just haven’t figured it out or just plain Yay!-for-Android-yet again! :-)

Despite the financial setbacks we had to go through last year, we continue to put our trust in the Lord. He faithfully pulled us out of that circumstance and ushered us to one blessing after another. Proving every single time that His hands are upon those who love Him and the fact that there is no way in this world that we can ever outgive the God who has control of all the riches in the world.

Remembering these following verses while we are at it.

“But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.” Deuteronomy 8:18

“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” Malachi 3:10

“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38

Depends on how people perceive it, while it can be such small effort for some, it can be big deal for a few. It totally boils down to one’s perspective. But just take a careful look, as early as the 20th week, which will be around the second week of May 2013, we can already pull out whatever we saved and invest it in mutual funds, which we are believers of. Mutual funds has always worked for us. Our first investment in mutual funds, we were able to gain more than 50% after 6 months. The second time was 80% after more than two years! Not bad, right? Considering economy was bad during that time and we only placed it on the “Balanced” category.

It can be done. With the right reasons, faith and the discipline, this 52 Week Money Saving is one doable challenge. :-)

13 Comments to “Our 52 Week Money Saving Challenge for 2013”

1. Meikah Ybañez-Delid Says:

Oh, I’d like to do this, too. I’ll just follow the chart, sis? :)

Jennie Reply:

Sure, sis! How are you guys doing so far? It does look easy at the start but can prove to be a challenge as time goes by because of the percentage that adds up every week. :-)

2. Lynn Says:

Jen, your plan is doable. Just stick with it. I know it would be difficult at first, with so many expenses for essentials. See to it that you avoid impulsive buying and unplanned purchases. Once you develop this saving habit, it will be automatic. Just like when you give your tithe and faith promise offering.

3. jared's mum Says:

saving is one of my main goals for 2013, that is why i thought this chart that mommy Levy shared is such a clever idea. i have yet to start with mine, though. i will set aside the smaller amounts in this coin bank until it is big enough to be deposited into a new bank account!

good luck to us on this challenge! :)

4. Teresa Martinez Says:

I am actually inspired by your savings efforts especially because of its purpose. I hope I can find a way to find a way to do this myself.

5. Maria Teresa Figuerres Says:

To save something from my salary is a goal I would like to achieve this year, too. What makes it hard to accomplish is that I also support my parents’ medications. I hope and pray that I can do this for 2013, just like the Money Saving Challenge you’re doing.

6. peachy Says:

Oh wow! good luck on the challenge, Jen! Gayahin ko rin kaya yan?

7. Aggie Says:

Super nice concept! I need to talk to my husband about this!

8. Book Review: The 5 Money Personalities by Scott Palmer and Bethany Palmer | Marriage and Beyond Says:

[...] I started reading this book (we read together using his iPad), around the same time we started our 52 Week Money Saving Challenge 2013. I thought it cannot be more timely. While it may have something to do with money, the book [...]

9. riz Says:

it’s great to have savings in order for us to have buffer funds for all those unexpected expenses.

10. Makoy Says:

it was a nice decision to invest your saved money to mutual funds. waste of money if it will just sit in the bank or in a piggy bank. congratulations to your weekly savings plan, you can do it!

11. Chubskulit Rose Says:

Having a chart such as this would help you reach your goal as oppose to just plan and done nothing about it.

12. Switching our Homeschooler from Allowance to Commission Method | Marriage and Beyond Says:

[…] totally makes sense than our former 52 Week Money Challenge Plan. There are a handful of drawbacks to sticking with the 52-Week plan. Because there are […]