posted by Jennie on Nov 26

The country celebrates the National Week for the Gifted and Talented on November 22 to 28. The annual event, held every fourth week of November, was declared through Presidential Proclamation No. 199 by then President Joseph Estrada in 1999, to promote opportunities for talented children and to help parents and teachers foster an environment for children to nurture their potentials and utilize their skills at home, school and the community. This is also the time to recognize the exemplary performance of gifted and talented Filipino children all over in the country.

In celebration of the National Week for the Gifted and Talented, the Philippine Association for the Gifted (PAG) is holding its 12th Annual Convention-Workshop. Entitled “Nurturing Giftedness: New Directions” and slated on November 25 to 26 at the Mandarin Oriental Suites, Gateway Mall in Cubao, Quezon City, the event will serve as a venue to learn new methods in nurturing children’s talents and potentials. Hundreds of parents, teachers, school administrators, guidance counselors and professors are expected to attend the workshop.

MARY ELLEN RYAN

The workshop will be facilitated by Gifted and Talented Specialist, Ms. Mary Ellen Ryan, who will also share her Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM), which shows teachers how to develop students’ talents by assessing their strengths and providing enrichment through resources and services. Ryan completed her Master’s Degree in Gifted and Talented Education at the University of Connecticut and currently works as an Enrichment Specialist at the Hong Kong International School.

11 Comments to “Promil Pre-School and the Philippine Association for the Gifted Celebrate the National Week for the Gifted and Talented”

1. Jennie Says:

* this article is press release. Will post an article about my interview with Ms. Mary Ellen Ryan soon. :-)

2. Therese Gonzales Says:

Do you know the name and contact info the the school whose elementary students were manning a booth during the convention? I chatted with them and they told me they were raising funds for typhoon victims by having a bazaar of organic items for their economics and environmental awareness subjects. Ok siya, parang ginagawa na ng school nila yung mga sinabi ni Ryan sa convention. Please email me if you know the school’s name. Gusto ko mag-inquire sana.

Jennie Reply:

Hello Therese! I forwarded your message to one of the PR representatives of the event. Will get back to you when I hear from them the soonest. Have a great week! :-)

3. doods solima Says:

hi, i am base here in cagayan de oro city and was wondering if you have someone to recommend who will check or diagnose if a child is gifted. i was inform that a center is base only in manila and its hard for us to go there. or maybe you can give information for a homebase or distant learning for gifted children. more power!

4. Louella Says:

@doods: headway school for giftedness is based at up diliman, qc. :)

5. Gin-gin Espiritu - Aguilar Says:

Hi!

I am actually trying to look for contact details of Dr. Leticia Penano – Ho, I believe she is the president of Phil Assoc for the Gifted? I was hoping she, or anyone who is certified to do the assessment, can check on my son’s giftedness since he si quite advanced for his age (he is currently 2 1/2 years old).

Thank you very much and looking forward to your favorable response.

6. jane palma Says:

hi,im jane mother of a three yr old boy.my child s vry smart,at hs age he knws 2 read,spell nd evrything,he evn knws hw to operate a computer or evn a celphone.evryone ws amaze evn his preshool teacher.i hpe that my child wld b a member,i wnt to norture his giftednes.

7. Anna Says:

Hi, I’m Anna of Polomolok, South Cotabato. Just like Jane my son is 3yrs old too. He started to read cover to cover of his books (if he’s in the mood) at the age of 2 1/2. He can count 1-100, identifies all the numbers, shapes, colors without confusion. He has a strong memory retention and he’s a very good reader, actually he’s a “word addict” even everywhere we go if he’s see words he reads. When I enroll him to preschool he even read his text book cover to cover infront of parents, students and his teacher that amaze us all.

I really wish to know people or organizations that can help my child. Thanks.

8. Jade Lazaga Says:

Good day! Same with the mommy’s here, I am also a mother of a “possibly” gifted child. My 3 yr-old son is also exhibiting similar qualities mentioned above. Currently I’ve enrolled him in Kumon and he is one of the Gold awardees in Math, besting other kids on his level that are way older than him. He can spell, read, draw & do math better than his 5 yr-old sister who is already in school. Is there anyone here who can help me contact an organization which specializes in gifted kids? We are from Cebu City and it’s also hard for us to go to Manila for this as well.

I will await your response. Thank you so much!

9. carol houshiar Says:

I need to make some inquiries, please.

10. Isyl Says:

Hi my baby is a gifted child because he knows how to read words at 1 year..he can read more than 100 words now..he can identify numbers and can count from 1 to 20..can Identify colors and shapes and can recite a-z..